Basketball is one of the world’s most popular sports. There are endless amounts of great basketball photos that could be featured on a blog, but these are some of the top picks.
Just like there are different types of music, there are different types of basketball photos. Some of the most iconic and memorable images of the sport come from some of the best basketball photographers of all time. Whether it’s a tight shot of a player soaring to the hoop, or a well-composed portrait of a team working as one, these photographers have captured some of the most beautiful and compelling images of basketball ever.
1. Juan Manuel Fangio – One of the most popular and recognizable names in motorsports, Fangio is well-known for his driving skills as well as his photography. In 1979, he captured some of the most iconic images of the Brazilian national team in the World Cup, including a powerful slam dunk by player Zezé Motta.
2. Boris Smolar – One of the most accomplished and versatile photographers of his time, Smolar photographed some of the most iconic basketball players in history, from Magic Johnson to Larry Bird. His images of Bird soaring to the hoop are some of the most iconic images in the sport, and he also captured some memorable images of the Chicago Bulls during their dynasty years.
3. Michael Jordan – One of the most iconic and successful athletes of all time, Jordan is well-known for his explosive dunks and his competitive spirit. His photography is just as memorable as his basketball skills, with iconic shots of Jordan scoring against the Detroit Pistons, or battling against the Utah Jazz.
4. Tim Walker – Walker is known for his portrait photography, and his shots of NBA players in action are some of the most iconic images in the sport. His images of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are some of the most iconic in the history of the game, and he also photographed some of the most pivotal moments in the history of the Boston Celtics.
5. Bob Bamber – A pioneer of sports photography, Bamber is best-known for his iconic images of tennis players in action. His shots of John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors are some of the most memorable in tennis history, and he also photographed some of the most iconic images in the history of the Boston Celtics.
6. Peter Lindbergh – Lindbergh is most famous for his solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean in a single-engine airplane, but his photography is just as noteworthy. His images of the Boston Red Sox during their dynasty years are some of the most iconic images in sports history, and he also captured some of the most memorable images of Michael Jordan in his career.
7. Robert Capa – One of the most prolific and influential photographers of his time, Capa is well-known for his iconic images of World War II. His shots of United States soldiers in battle are some of the most memorable and iconic images in history, and he also photographed some of the most iconic images of the Spanish Civil War.